What Is Study.Com?Study.com is an online learning platform that offers video-based educational tools to help you on your educational journey. Everything from study guides to video lessons to test prep and even college credit! With over 22,000 video lessons and resources, there is really something for everyone on study.com I was really struck by just how MUCH is on this site. I found a few really great courses that would be awesome for my kids throughout this upcoming school year – for example, there is a world history course for middle school that lines up almost precisely with my youngest child’s Oak Meadow Ancient Civilizations syllabus. This would make a really neat reinforcing video course for her to take in addition to the work she’s doing with her main curriculum. The next thing that caught my interest about study.com was just how clean, user-friendly, and easy to navigate it was. I’m not even gonna lie, I’m a sucker for a pretty website. I know, I know – don’t judge a book by its cover and all that. But when it comes to learning sites and learning resources for my children (and myself!) I really appreciate a product that I don’t have to spend days learning how to use. I sat down at my iPad, went to study.com and was able to immediately start navigating around and finding what I wanted to find.
Who Can Benefit From Study.com?In short – everyone. If you’re on any kind of educational path, there is something on study.com for you. Homeschoolers can access interesting, easy to use courses in everything from science to social studies to mathematics to language arts. Earning early college credit, accessing testing like CLEP, GED, PRAXIS, and more – will help you or your student get a leg up on their post-secondary path. And, making their college career a little more affordable.
Pros/Cons of Study.comAlthough I’ve only had a chance to really dig in to a fraction of the 22,000+ resources on study.com, here are a few of the pros and cons that stand out to me: Pros:
- Over 22,000 videos and resources to access – courses, articles, college and career guides and more!
- Good quality video lessons
- Lessons have built-in quizzes and tests
- Clean, user-friendly site that is easy to navigate
- Your membership allows you to access all the learning resources, and there are multiple options available for price plans
- Testing and college credit courses means more affordable college career
- Along with the main site, there is an app that makes it easy to take your learning on the go
- Website is mobile responsive and well laid out on all devices
- Price point might be high for families who want to use study.com for longer term – pricing ranges from $39.99/month up to $199.99/month for the college accelerator plan
- Study.com is US-based which means that non-US families may not benefit from testing or college credits
- Younger students may not find the videos as engaging or exciting